the fish america/Brunswick foundation
grant recipients story...
January 1st, 2023
The Fish America Foundation, via funding from the Brunswick Corporation, and administered by the Fishing Education Foundation/National Fishing in Schools Program, provided grants to 9 schools enabling them to participate in "Fishing in Schools" in 2022. Here's a recap to date of our collective efforts to bring angling education to these schools.
Grant program description:
A grant of $25,000 was offered in September, 2022, which limited participation to 9 schools. Applications were restricted to 10 states. There were close to 100 applications received over the two week open period. The 9 schools, which were selected on a "first come, first served" basis, came from 6 states. Schools were requested to complete their “Fishing in Schools” courses in their PE programs by November 30, 2022.
The 9 schools awarded were:
1. Illinois: Williamsburg Elementary School, Geneva, IL
2. Indiana: Washington Elementary School, Fort Wayne, IN
3. Minnesota: Lake City Public Schools, Lake City, MN; Pine Island Elementary School, Pine Island, MN
4. Missouri: East Prairie High School, Bertand, MO
5. Tennessee: Bobby Ray Elementary School, McMinnville, TN; Sweetwater Primary School, Sweetwater, TN
6. Washington: Lindbergh High School, Renton, WA; Griffin School, Olympia, WA
Results from a survey request to the schools will return these types of findings:
• “When did you/will you complete the course?”
• “How many students were you able to teach?”
• “How would you rate the course results?”
• “How would you rate the equipment provided?”
• “How would you rate the training provided?”
• “How would you rate the curriculum provided?”
• “Did you mostly use the printed lesson plans or the NFSP CAST online content?”
• “Were you able to hold a F.I.S.H. Outdoor Event (or at least go fishing)?”
• “What suggestions to you have to improve the program?”
Photographs provided by the schools may be viewed below. Feel free to capture and use as desired - but please give credit to the source.